Online Copyright Registration
A Private Limited Company is the most popular type of corporate entity in India. It is registered as per the compliance and regulatory guidelines of the Ministry of Corporate Affairs (MCA).
There is an increase in the amount of intellectual property being registered in India due to an increase in awareness among people about intellectual property laws, allowing for online registration of many of the type of intellectual property being created. Copyright registration is one of the key types of intellectual property protection and allows for the protection of literary, dramatic, musical and artistic works. A copyright is of course a right not to copy someone’s work. A copyright gives the owner of the subject an exclusive right over his work. If a work is protected by copyright, no one can imitate, copy or reproduce the original work in any other way.
Things are protected under Copyright
It protects the creation of ideas alone it cannot be protected. The following may be protected under copyright law.
Musical work & Sound recording
Artistic work like paintings, photographs
Original literary others
Broadcasts on Radio and Television
To obtain the copyright registration the following process has to be followed:
- An application (including all the particulars and the statement of the particulars) in the format of FORM IV has to have to be sent to the registrar along with the requisite fees (mentioned in the Schedule 2 of the act.). A separate application has to be made for separate works
- Every application has to be signed by the applicant as well as an Advocate in whose favor a Vakalatnama or a POA has been executed
- The registrar will issue a Dairy No. and then there is a mandatory waiting time for a period of 30 days for any objections to be received
- If there are no objections received within 30 days, the scrutinizer will check the application for any discrepancy and if no discrepancy is there, the registration will be done and an extract will be sent to the registrar for the entry in the Register of Copyright.
- If any objection is received, the examiner will send a letter to both the parties about the objections and will give them both a hearing.
- After the hearing, if the objections are resolved the scrutineer will scrutinize the application and approve or reject the application as the case may be.
- In case of registration of multiple works, separate applications should be made for registration of each work along with the requisite fee.
Copyright Protection Validity
- Generally, copyright protection is valid for 60 years. In the case of original literary, dramatic, musical and artistic works, the 60-year period is counted from the year following the death of the author. In the case of cinematograph films, sound recordings, photographs, posthumous publications, anonymous and pseudonymous publications, works of government and works of international organizations, the 60-year period is counted from the date of publication.